Wednesday, October 17, 2018




Let’s start at the beginning.  On Friday, August 3, 2018, I woke up feeling not very good. I was throwing up and had agonizing abdominal pain. I kept telling my mom I was fine, but I was not fine. I couldn’t stop dry heaving, and the pain was excruciating. My mom took me to the ER because we thought I might have appendicitis. When I got to the ER, they did an abdominal CT scan to check my appendix. My appendix looked okay, but I had an impacted colon, and it was causing intense pain and making me sick. I had been throwing up so much that little capillaries in my throat had burst, so I was throwing up blood. That freaked me out. The nurse had to do an IV to give me fluids, and that is the first IV I have ever had. I was freaked out because I didn’t know what the crap an IV was. They put the IV in my arm. It felt almost like getting a shot, but it wasn’t too bad.  They had to draw my blood in 2 different spots because of some test they had to run. They took blood from my arm and then from the top of my hand. It hurt A LOT! The area in my hand bruised later. To fix the colon issue, I had to drink an entire bottle of Miralax dissolved in two 16 ounce containers of Gatorade. (That is 2 weeks worth of Miralax). It was disgusting. Plugging my nose didn’t help. I tried every different way of drinking it, and none of them helped in any way shape or form. It was just nasty! The Miralax doesn’t have a taste, but it dilutes the flavor of the Gatorade and makes it syrupy. I hate Miralax. It is terrible, and there aren’t enough words to describe how awful it is. I met my new favorite person named Valerie. She is a super great nurse. After I felt better, I was finally allowed to go home. I thought that was the end of the trip, but it was only the beginning of my journey.
 

1 comment:

  1. Ellie, this was one rough day for you!! You are wise beyond your years when you write: "I thought that was the end of the trip, but it was only the beginning of my journey." You are doing well as you travel this road. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry

Dear readers, I am so sorry for not updating. You have been waiting and waiting and waiting. To be fair, most of the time I am tired, and so...